Monday, May 27, 2019

Week Two! (May 20-26)

That was a full week! I'll probably just skim over what I did because I don't want to write a novel.

Monday May 20th
I went for a run in the morning and went to classes throughout the day. We had our rehearsal in the Sam Wannamaker theatre and took a stage combat class. Then I just hung out with my friends in our apartments and took the night to just giggle and relax. The rest of the week is a bit more exciting to write about. 
Tuesday May 21st
Tuesday started a nice walk and bus ride around London to get to the Tate Modern art museum. It was Beck's birthday so we went out for crepes and took pictures down by the Thames before going to meet our group. 
The Tate Modern is a very large and interesting museum; there is so much art everywhere you look and covers a massive variety. In one of the buildings there is a lookout over London, so we got to see the whole city. 






At the Globe we took a Western European Historical Dance class, and we learned a whole jig we'll performance at the end of our showing in May. Also, if you happen to be in London on June 6th, let me know and you'll be welcome to come see the performance! After dance, we had a rehearsal class. For dinner, I went and ate by the river, and this is the same spot we took pictures that morning. The Thames gets very high in the afternoon. 
And that night we went out to celebrate Beck's birthday with pizza. Happy Birthday Beck!!! 


Wednesday May 22nd
I got up nice and early to have the morning to myself and headed to Regent's Park because it had been recommended to me. It did not disappoint. It's one of the royal parks, so it was gorgeous. 


We had a class/check-in with our professor to discuss how we were doing and what shows everyone had been seeing, and then we headed over to the Globe to watch The Merry Wives of Windsor. It was such a fun show! We were standing in the yard again and it was a very different experience to see the show during the day. Afterward our group had a talkback with the women who played Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Page. One of those actresses (pictured with me below) was on one of my favorite shows Call the Midwife, and they were both so knowledgeable and giving with their time. 

After the Q&A we had a while for dinner so I went on a long walk that felt more like a hike. I went all the way past London Tower and over the iconic Tower Bridge. It was an exhausting but worthwhile trek. I went back to the Globe and we had our second movement class. I'd say a fairly calm day. 

  
 
Thursday May 23rd
This day was fairly straightforward but so informative! We had classes throughout the day and went to see The Twilight Zone in the evening. It was so much fun getting to see such a fun version of that show; us Americans had so much fun and were told to "behave ourselves" when we were enjoying the show too loudly. 

Friday May 24th
We had another outside workshop this Friday! We worked with Eric from Complicité; we touched on animal work, la Coque theatre, musicality in theater and so much more. This was our view back to more central London.
That night we went to see Come From Away at the Phoenix Theatre, and it was one of the most touching performances I've ever seen. This show has swept the world with its popularity over the past years, but I had never heard of it before. It follows some passengers that were stranded in Newfoundland for five days following 9/11 because they weren't allowed to fly. The musical focuses on how the events affected the Newfoundland locals and those stuck there. The ensemble of 12 played both of those sets of individuals; the true story and the performance are such an inspiration. Our whole group was crying and laughing throughout. Beck and I stuck around after the show and talked to a few of the actors and we got to pick their brains on what they believe the show means. Overall, it was stunning. 

Saturday May 25th
Stratford! Early in the morning, our whole group hopped onto a bus and headed to Stratford-upon-Avon, the birth-place and resting-place of William Shakespeare. It was a curious sight to see an entire town dedicated to a man who wrote plays and poems. We walked around the town, visitied the church where he and his family are buried, went through his museum and birthplace/childhood home, and saw As You Like It performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company. A very fulfilling few hours! Once back in London, Beck and I went shopping and explored the theatre district and historic Westminster area. I don't have many good pictures because it was dark out. 

    
 
Sunday May 26th
We had the whole day to ourselves, so I wanted to go to several of the places on my bucket list. I started at the Museum of Design; it was intriguing and discussed a lot about branding and how that affects a business' success. I was very close to Kensington Palace so I decided to stop by before heading to my next museum. It's one of prettiest places I have ever been. They have a whole park area, sunken garden and cafe open to the public (I also met Stanley Tucci at the cafe but that's a story for another time). One of the most stunning places I have been in London. 




After that area, I headed to the Guildhall Art Center. There was extremely old and exciting art in there, but my favorite part was that there were the ruins of a Roman Amphitheater. Apparently when they were prepping the sight in the late 20th century, they found the ruins and preserved them and they act as entire section of the museum basement. 
What I thought would be my final stop was the Trafalgar Square area. I ate a proper (vegetarian) English breakfast in the afternoon. It was really good food! Then I met up with Beck and we went through the National Gallery together. There was so much art! I didn't take too many pictures because there was just so much to see, but one of the highlights was seeing Van Gogh's Chair. We didn't spend too much time in there because we were exhausted and both had done so much throughout the day. 
   
Back home we remembered that we had planned to go to the evening service at Westminster Abbey with our professor, so the two of us headed out. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but believe me when I say it was glorious. The service was brief but spiritually filling. Beck, Wesley and I just walked around for a while before going home. We found this cool looking building (left picture) and a statue for the suffragette movement. 
  


And that's it for this blog! I know it's a long one, and I already have more to add for the 27th, but I guess you'll just have to wait and see. :D 
Much love,
Kami

1 comment: