Monday, May 20, 2019

May 16-19

These few day were FULL of theatre!

Thursday (May 16th) started out as a somewhat relaxed morning; nothing too exciting in the morning, but we heading to IES (our study abroad coordinators) for a class discussion with Wesley. Some of us decided to take some cute, touristy photos on the walk over.
Then after that class, Beck and I walked over to the Globe and took some more fun pictures along the way, 
We had a super engaging and helpful voice class, got to see the Globe's library, and went to work on our final showcase. Nothing too exciting in pictures, but I learned so much about Shakespeare and theatre. 

Friday May 17th. 
We did a six-hour workshop with Frantic Assembly, and wow. If you want to learn more about Frantic, check out their website, (https://www.franticassembly.co.uk/). We did ensemble running, lifting, improvised movements, and so many amazing other things. I learned about how capable my body is, whether it's being able to hold my own body weight, trusting that my body can remember what to do, or trusting my strength to hold up others. It was fun, exhilarating and thoroughly exhausting. 
From there, Beck and I headed to see the longest running show in the West End (1952-NOW), The Mousetrap. It was fun to see such a historic show. 
On the way back to our apartments, we stopped by King's Cross Station to do one of my favorite touristy activities so far. Platform 9 and 3/4.
Overall a very exciting day!

Saturday May 18th
In the morning, I went with Karen and Beck to do some shopping! We went to several thrift stores and the Islington mall. We were pretty sore from the Frantic Assembly the day before, so we kept the shopping pretty close by. We went out to eat at this cute little pub and I ate (of course) some sweet potato fries. 
In the evening five of us Nebraska folks went to see Emilia and it was one of the most moving pieces of theatre I have ever seen. There is a myth about Shakespeare's sonnets and the 'dark lady' he wrote them about, so Emilia was based around her legend. It's an all female cast, it's hilarious and it will fill your belly with fire. If you ever have the chance to see it, do. 
 
Then, since we were looking a little bit cleaner, we stopped by the HP platform again.
  
(These are a pair of pants I got a thrift store)
Saturday was AMAZING!!!

Sunday, May 19th
I allowed myself to sleep in a relax for the first time on the trip. It's going to be a long week, so I wanted to make sure I got some rest before it got crazy.
Emma (my roommate) and I headed to the farmer's market to get some groceries. The produce is so fresh and we made a delicious dinner last night. 
In the evening, a bigger group of us headed to an immersive production of  The Great Gatsby. This was so much fun and so well done!!! We got to talk to some of the performers after, and they said you'd have to see the performance 7 or 8 times to see everything. It was such a fun production, and I would highly recommend. 
And that concludes my first week in London!!! I am having the best time and appreciate all the support so much. Cheers!
Much love,
Kami
(This project was made possible, in part, with support form the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts' Endowment Fund)

1 comment: